Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Glades County Moving Forward On Development

MOORE HAVEN, FL. -- At last week's Glades County Commissioners meeting
discussions of several projects being planned for Glades County were
outlined. County Manager Wendell Taylor, in his presentation proposing
reorganizing the
County's Building, Planning, Zoning, Code Enforcement and possibly E911
under a newly forming "Community Development Department" stated, "We
need to lean forward." His proposal was prefaced with, "On the horizon
is coming opportunity. It's already arrived in some places but it's
really going to get a lot of activity in the future, in the very very
near future. And I think if Glades County is going to put itself in the
position where we're going to be able to take advantage of that, then we
need to hurry up and get ourselves reorganized in the way that we deal
with community development."
He further elaborated, "I think the people of Glades County have been
disadvantaged a long time and I think it's time for us to step up, and I
want to be a part of helping. Now, the Planning and Zoning commission can't
do it, I can't do it, the Building Department and all those offices over
there can't do it, and you can't do it. But together we can, working as a
team, make it happen.
He advised, "There's a number of things we can get done sooner rather than
later. A lot of this is going to have to go through Tallahassee, and get
approved. I want a complete review of all regulations that governs the
use of land, our Master Plan, the way we do subdivisions, the way we do
everything that we do. I want to lead forward, and I want to get your
commitment tonight that we need to do it."
Commissioner Bob Giesler immediately voiced his approval and support,
humorously injecting, "As long as my county manager agrees with you, it's
fine." Commissioner Ward concurred elaborating that it was "a breath of
fresh air", further telling Taylor that "under your leadership I expect to
move forward, and
I am tired of people coming back at me and saying they hear nothing but
negative responses out of that office. You can't do it, you can't do it,
you can't do it, you cannot run business that way. That is the only
'can't' that we need to have. We need to move forward with developers
coming to this county, what can we do to help you settle here, and get
the edge on some of these other counties. I welcome it, you've got my
support one hundred percent. If you need to clean house on that and
start over again, you've got my support one hundred percent." Mr. Taylor
interjected, "If it comes to that, we will. Clean house I mean."
Chairman Jones stated, "I think the Commission supports you
unanimously." Mr. Taylor responded, "Thank you very much and we'll go
out, and I'll be asking for help."
A professional review to provide an updated version of Glades County's 1982
Land Development Regulations (LDRs) is currently underway by the
professional planning staff of Johnson Engineering, Inc. and is being paid
for by Lykes Bros. The proposed revised updates will come in public
hearings before the County's planning agency Building, Planning, Zoning
Board of Adjustments, and also then be reviewed, edited and approved by the
Board of County Commissioners for adoption by county ordinance.

No comments:

Post a Comment